Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Interview with oboist Roni Gal-Ed


Roni Gal-Ed is a very accomplished oboist who plays as an orchestral as well as a chamber musician in all continents. She is currently an oboist with the Jerusalem Symphony Orchestra in Israel.

When did you start playing?

Roni: I started playing when I was twelve years old. I was eight when my dad took me to a concert of a baroque oboe player and I fell in love with the oboe. My dad took me back stage and I tried playing the oboe there and by sheer luck I made a good sound immediately. Since then, I was obsessed with the oboe until I was old enough to start playing it.

So how was it at the beginning?

Roni: I didn’t actually love it at the beginning. It was difficult to make a goods sound and my brothers made fun of me all the time. They would stand outside of my room and imitate my sound when I practiced and they kept telling me that I sounded like a dying duck.

Do you use Facebook?

Roni: I have a profile on Facebook but I don't promote myself as a musician on it. If someone google me he sees a program or a festival I participated in and there he can see my CV and all the relevant information. I also don’t have a website.

Do you promote yourself online?

Roni: I have a fixed orchestra job and after studying in Europe and working there for a few years I have my connections there as well, so I don’t feel that I need to promote myself online.

What do you use Facebook for?

Roni: I use it just so I can stay in touch with friends.

Do you use any other social networks?

Roni: No.

Do you notice other musicians’ promotion online?

Roni: I noticed that other musicians write on their Facebook profile what they play, where they perform or with which orchestra. I think it’s a good thing. But I don’t think it’s really necessary.

What if you don’t have an orchestra job?

Roni: I think I’ll have to promote myself online when I move here to New York because I won't have an orchestra job and I'll be new here.

What will you do?

Roni: I'll probably have a website. I’ll also get in touch with musicians I know here and let them know that I’m here and looking for work.

How do you explain performing a lot without promotion?

Roni: I was never trying to be a big soloist and in Germany I was in a really good oboe class so if someone needed an oboist they knew about me through the class.

My network was basically created through word of mouth. I played in the Munich Philharmonic under James Levine so this gave me a good reputation in Germany and in Europe.

I also think that when someone promotes themselves too much or in an aggressive way it makes people suspect that they are not too good. It can really get to you when one sends pictures and messages constantly.

The most important thing is how you play.

How about networking?

Roni: I think it's important to network. You can do it by playing for conductors and leading musicians. But mostly when you’re young. I used to do that before I was 20. That’s when you build your career and these people can help give your career the desired direction.

Since the age of 23 my aim was to be a principle oboist in an orchestra. Before than I played some solo. When you play principle oboe you can play in orchestra and play some solo as well.

Any suggestions for musicians?

Roni: Young musicians should try to participate in many festivals so they can play for important soloists and teachers and create connections. They should play chamber music with musicians that are on their level and higherr. And it’s very important to be on good terms with everybody because the music world is a small world and you end up meeting the same people over and over. You never know who you’ll need one day.

1 comment:

  1. Not that Facebook is a position where they need to actively court new users, but I wonder if there's something to giving people like Roni a sense of the measureable impact Facebook or other sites might have on her career.

    ReplyDelete