Saturday, February 14, 2009

A cold night stroll and half a concert

Yesterday I went to hear a beautiful concert performed by members of the Brooklyn Chamber Music Society ("BCMS"). The concert started at 8:00 p.m. and I dragged along a friend, convincing her that it's worth going all the way to Brooklyn on a cold night to hear the Mendelssohn Octet. 

I looked at BCMS' website in order to find out where the concert is as it was the first time I attended one of their events. I was in a hurry and didn't want to spend too much time on the site, but I couldn't find the address of the concert immediately so I clicked on "reservation" and found the address.  I noticed that it was a 17 minutes walk from the train and I told my friend that we'll take a taxi from the subway. She agreed and we took the train to Clark street in Brooklyn. 

I printed the directions from Google Maps and was proud of myself for being so prepared, which is atypical of me. We started walking, and to our pleasant surprise we found a taxi right away and guided the confused driver to the address using his GPS. We arrived at a very nice brownstone and rang the doorbell, thinking to ourselves this was going to be a typical "house" concert, with a lot of good food and delicious drinks. A young man opened the door and told usthat the concert is downstairs. We walked down the stairs and rang for a while at another door. A woman opened the door and told us we were at the wrong place.

I called my husband who was still at his office and asked him to look on the BCMS website  and tell us where the concert is. He looked for a while and eventually found out it was at a church five minutes away from the subway stop. At this point it was already 8:25 and my friend and I were freezing. So we took another taxi to the right address and enjoyed the remainder of this beautiful concert.

After the concert, I spoke to the organisers of the series, all of whom I know, and they told me this is not the first time someone shows up at their home office instead of at the church for a concert.

One obvious pitfall to be wary of when promoting yourself online is directing your audience to the wrong address!

No comments:

Post a Comment